Do a google search on accounting and (humor or jokes or funnies), and you are bound to get a listing of some really awful stuff. I’m willing to retell the following, but only to make a point that we accountants aren’t very funny.
- What’s the difference between counting and accounting? Accounting goes a-one, a-two, a-three, and so forth.
- Did you know there are three types of accountants? Those that can count, and those that can’t!
- Says one accountant’s wife to her friend, “My husband is so accrual, he doesn’t depreciate me any more.”
- If an accountant’s wife can’t sleep, what does she say to her husband? “Darling, tell me about your work.”
- How was copper wire invented? Two accountants were arguing over a penny.
What do you think? These are the best of the worst jokes ever created.
Why can’t accountant jokes be as funny as economist jokes? Here are a few:
- Economics is the only field in which two people can get a Nobel Prize for saying exactly the opposite thing.
- Three econometricians went out hunting and came across a large deer. The first econometricial fired, but missed by a meter to the left. The second econometrician fired, but missed by a meter to the right. The third econometrician didn’t fire, but shouted loudly in triumph, “We got it! We got it!”
- Talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand.
OK, so the economist jokes aren’t all that funny either. So I decided to create my own accountant joke. Can I do any worse?
- America is in a war against terror. An accountant decides to join the army. After a month of basic training, the accountant has become the sergeant’s pet and is permitted to take the rest of the troop out for a march. The accountant gets the men started, “Ready, set, march!” The men start stomping left and right, stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp. The accountant joins in to keep them in time, “Debit (stomp) Debit (stomp) Debit Credit Debit (Stomp)”
Over and out – – David Albrecht