I’ve been posting to AECM for years. AECM is the e-mail listserv for hundreds of accounting professors. One topic I regularly post on is accounting and how it is perceived by the popular culture. Youtube is one of my favorite sites (google images is the other).
The bailout and sub-prime crisis has have spawned many commentaries, satires and songs. A running theme through these videos and songs is the public’s disgust with the following:
- corporate executives
- for-profit financial institutions
- government regulation
I went to Youtube and typed in the search word “bailout”. Back came more than I ever imagined. What creativity, what artiistry, what fatalism, what indignation!
I’ve compiled a fairly long list of videos. I hope you make it through all of them. In compiling the following list, I’ve tried to be very selective (dozens of various videos failed to make my list). My favorites are embedded. These are very good. I hope you view them all. Links to other very good videos are at the bottom of this page.
I find it very interesting that in this crisis accountants aren’t receiving any scorn. This is very much unlike seven years ago with the Enron and Arthur Andersen scandals.
Sponsor a CEO
Where’s my bailout? #1
Where’s my bailout? #2
Santa Claus bailout
Bailout Man Song
700 Billion Dollar Bailout – the Song
SubPrime Mortgage Blues
The Bailout Song
There are several other good ones that made my cut. Here are the links:
- Do they know it’s Christmas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmzGPIx4YQ
- Where’s my bailout? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9nk8XwHbS4
- Where’s my bailout? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTMp1Zl0eGM
- Would buy weed if given bailout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYC25oNTx9o
- Subprime meltdown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5VeNwG3xms
- Twelve days of bailiouts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55xJnIqq9ZI
- Wall Street Bailout Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD6z5IIWLTs
- “Give it to me” Bailout Rap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRR80Eq3FQM
- The SubPrime Blues #2, Will Inflate Stated Income for Food http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5lTymSFxPU
There is a part 2 to this, at Bailout and Popular Culture (2).
Over and out – – Dave Albrecht